Release notes for Acronis Cyber Cloud 20.08
Release date: August 2020
With this update release, the Acronis flagship cloud product offers enhancements and addresses the issues found in the previous releases.
Introducing new editions: Acronis Cyber Protect and Acronis Cyber Backup
- The new editions represent two different licensing models unlocking the billing flexibility by allowing a partner to combine the models within the same account.
- Acronis Cyber Protect implies the "Per workload" licensing model
- Acronis Cyber Backup implies the "Per gigabyte" licensing model
- The Acronis Cyber Protect (per workload) edition provides an ability to mix offering items on a customer tenant level.
- Acronis Cyber Disaster Recovery Cloud becomes an add-on in Acronis Cyber Protect edition.
- The new editions become available along with the previously existed editions. The previously existed editions become legacy.
Introducing the new Essentials offering items
- The edition is designed for servers and workstations that need to be protected and managed but have a limited data set to back up.
- A very affordable price
- Antivirus and antimalware protection
- Vulnerability assessment
- Patch management
- Cyber Protect desktop
- Endpoint management
- Essential backup features
- The Essentials offering items are represented by
- Cyber Protect Essentials - Workstations
- Cyber Protect Essentials - Servers
- Cyber Protect Essentials - Virtual machines
- The Essentials offering items are available in Acronis Cyber Protect (per workload) edition.
Introducing free cloud storage for selected offering items
Starting from the Acronis Cyber Cloud 20.08 release, we are introducing a free cloud storage for the selected offering items of the new Acronis Cyber Protect (per workload) edition.
- A free cloud storage is applicable to the Acronis-hosted storage only.
- A free cloud storage becomes a part of usage report.
Free cloud storage included, GB
Cyber Protect Essentials - Workstations
Cyber Protect Essentials - Servers
Cyber Protect Essentials - Virtual machines
Cyber Protect Standard - Workstations
Cyber Protect Standard - Servers
Cyber Protect Standard - Virtual machines
Cyber Protect Standard - Web hosting servers
Cyber Protect Advanced - Workstations
Cyber Protect Advanced - Servers
Cyber Protect Advanced - Virtual machines
Cyber Protect Advanced - Web hosting servers
Acronis Cyber Protect
Exploit prevention in Antivirus and antimalware protection
Cyber Protect stops the attacks and prevents them by using a new exploit prevention functionality.
- Memory protection
- Return-oriented programming protection
- Code injection protection
- Privilege escalation protection
- Enabled by default for new protection plans
- Disabled by default for existing protection plans
Note that the functionality is available on Windows OS only. It should be used together with Behavior Engine.
Remote Assistance for Windows
Now it is possible to connect to a remote customer’s computer in the customer's desktop session and see exactly what the customer sees.
This will let service providers fix issues on customer's computers without logging out the customer.
Support for clipboard transfer via the HTML5 remote desktop client
Now copying/pasting of the text from a remote machine to a local machine and vice versa is supported.
Note that the following browsers are not supported yet: Internet Explorer, Safari, and Safari for iOS.
Better security products compatibility
Now Acronis Cyber Protect is registered in Windows Security Center only when a protection plan with the enabled Real-time protection is applied.
This allows to avoid security products compatibility issues when the Real-time protection is not enabled.
URL filtering widget and report
The new URL filtering widget shows a static list of URL categories with a number of items in the defined period of time.
#CyberFit Score recommendations in report
Recommendations on how to increase the level of the cyber protection are now present in the “#CyberFit Score by machine” report.
Acronis Cyber Disaster Recovery Cloud
Read-only access support
Now for a user with the Cyber Protection read-only administrator role, the Disaster Recovery service is available in the read-only mode.
Platfrom Core and Management Portal
API for cloud distributors
Acronis Cyber Files Cloud
- Branding inheritance from Acronis Cyber Cloud (the management portal):
- Color schemes
- Service names
- Usability improvements:
- A default folder for a move action
- A new download agents page
- Various performance improvements
See the dedicated API change log document for more details.
Acronis Cyber Protection agent
- Acronis Cyber Protection Agent for Windows (v. 12.5.23130)
- Acronis Cyber Protection Agent for Mac (v. 12.5.23130)
- Acronis Cyber Protection Agent for Linux (v. 12.5.23130)
See separate Acronis Cyber Protection agent release notes here.
This section describes issues that have been fixed in this update.
Acronis Cyber Protection Agent
- [ABR-267142] Acronis Cyber Protection Agent installation failed with the error "Failed to get property 'VersionString' of the installed product".
- [ABR-228787] Opening a password-protected archive created by Acronis VMprotect 9 failed with an error on the agent 12.5.13400.
- [ABR-276642] Physical Data Shipping protection plan failed while creating a full backup with the error message "Physical Data Shipping is in progress".
- [ABR-275603] Acronis Cyber Protection Agent was not able to read volumes, but files due to a specific BIOS configuration.
- [ABR-261974] Conflicting protection policies Antivirus and antimalware protection and Windows Defender Antivirus were applied simultaneously with no errors.
- [ABR-275824] Acronis Cyber Protection Agent conflicted with Microsoft SCCM.
- [ABR-276725] A slow Windows logon procedure and RDP process on the RDS server where both Acronis Cyber Protection Agent and Trend Micro software are installed.
- [ABR-275381] An unclear error message "Request failed with status code 422" is shown when applying the protection plan failed due to a user being disabled.
- [ABR-274045] Secure Zone creation failed due to the necessity to resize a physical LVM volume.
- [ABR-276011] Bootable media failed to detect a Wi-Fi adapter on Microsoft Surface.
- [ABR-253870] The Encryption option is turned off and greyed out in a protection plan when the name of existing encrypted archive is specified in "Backup file name".
- [ABR-266095] A backup failed with the error message "Operating system error: A device attached to the system is not functioning" where a wrong Knowledge Base link is specified.
- [ABR-278205] An old activity is stuck in the cancelling state.
- [ABR-279085] A protection plan got revoked from the several agents while being edited.
- [ARC-230] A file-level backup failed with the error "Invalid parameters".
- [ARC-143] A backup failed with the warning message "The activity has failed due to a crash of Service Process".
- [PLTFRM-21373] A device could not be removed after a user account was deleted.
- [PLTFRM-22756] The VMware ESXi configuration protection plan failed with the error message "The device has no quota to apply a protection plan".
- [ABR-275841] Enabling the "Alerts" option in the protection plan did not generate any "Plan didn't run on the device specified amount of days" alerts.
- [PLTFRM-22418][ABR-280247] Old alerts that were cleared before appeared again.
- [ABR-269149] A backup failed because 'System Writer' has timed out during the snapshot creation.
- [AAP-4018] The Active Protection process crashed.
- [ADP-8819] Sometimes it is possible to save Cyber Protect Definitions Update Schedule with the empty "Run Every" field.
- [AMP-3113] Applying Antimalware protection exclusions failed.
- [ADP-8416] Cyber Protect Definitions update failed if the "Cache" folder has been deleted.
Dashboards and reports
- [ADP-7196] The Activities report export resulted in an incomplete CSV file.
- [ABR-279221] The downloaded report contains the empty page at the very beginning.
- [ADP-9750] An alert about the outdated agent was not generated.
- [DRAAS-20621] Failed to boot Windows with Dell UEFI loader.
- [DRAAS-20433] An empty entry for point-to-site is displayed in the UI when the option is not enabled.
- [DRAAS-20732] Disaster Recovery failback failed with the error "Internal error. Please try again later or contact support".
Google G Suite
- [ABR-274096] Google Drive recovery failed with the error message "Task timeout expired".
- [ABR-275846] Google Drive backup failed with the error message ":googleapi: Error 403: The user does not have sufficient permissions for file '..', insufficientFilePermissions'" when backing up shared files with the Viewer/Commenter permission levels.
- [ABR-275420] The incorrect alert "Backup did not start" is shown.
- [ABR-279507][ABR-281223] The SharePoint Online backup failed with the error message "Task timeout expired".
- [ABR-260412] The Microsoft OneDrive backup failed with the error message "'Could not download OneDrive's file ... No more retries available. Retries count or timeout exceeded".
- [ABR-279877] The Microsoft 365 Mailbox backup completed with the warning: "Cannot back up Office 365 mailbox item, An internal server error occurred. The operation failed., The value is set to empty Parameter name: itemId'".
- [ABR-279018] Warning during Microsoft 365 items discovery.
- [ABR-278609] Discovery of Microsoft 365 organization failed.
- [ABR-277710] The Microsoft Teams backup finished with the warning 'Failed to backup item of list ...'.
- [PLTFRM-23019] Email notifications for Microsoft 365 backups are missing the tenant name.
- [ABR-282317] The Microsoft SharePoint Online backup finished with the warning "Failed to process change event List/Restore" when the library has more than 5000 items and the NewFolder setting is prohibited.
- [ABR-282123] The Microsoft Teams backup finished with the warning "SPOGetSiteCollectionsError".
- [ABR-282223] The Microsoft SharePoint Online recovery finished with the warning: "Failed to get the information about principal ... group".
- [PLTFRM-22829] The Microsoft 356 backup failed with the "quota reached" error.
- [ABR-280652] An unexpected file "ESXApplianceUpdate.tar.bz2" in ESXAppliance.zip.
- [ABR-247781] The "ESXi host" tooltip is shown for the Hyper-V and Virtuozzo hosts.
- [ABR-277063] Running a backup blocks moving of CSV volumes on the CSV owner Hyper-V host in Microsoft Failover Cluster (Windows Server 2016/2019).
- [ABR-206940] Backing up a Hyper-V virtual machine located on a CSV volume may block moving this CSV volume to a different Hyper-V node in some cases.
Platfrom Core and Management Portal
- [ABR-281659] An incorrect size of local backups is shown in Management Portal.
- [PLTFRM-22671] 500 error is shown when trying to log in via the branded URL if the tenant has external IdP with unreachable address.
- [PLTFRM-22304] Impossible to change the email address for a tenant.
- [PLTFRM-21833] Disaster Recovery offering items are grayed out and impossible to disable.
- [PLTFRM-21822] 504 response on api/1/groups/ID/children for a tenant with a lot of tenants under it.
- [PLTFRM-21835] A long response on /api/2/tenants/UUID/children/ for a tenant with a lot of tenants under (30k+).
- [PLTFRM-22721] Zero occupied storage is shown in Management Portal and Cyber Protection console if a new mobile was done to a partner-owned storage.
- [PLTFRM-19133][PLTFRM-21446] Audit log tab is stuck on loading.
- [PLTFRM-22837] The 7-day history chart is not updated.
Known issues and limitations
This section describes issues that are currently known and provides solutions to avoid the issues where possible.
Acronis Cyber Protection
- [PLTFRM-18969] It is not possible to protect Microsoft SQL on a machine with a workstation operating system, in the case Agent for Hyper-V is also installed among local agents.
- [ABR-255521] The number of total runs and successful runs is zero for the Microsoft Office 365 resources.
- [ABR-240431] It is possible to apply an existing protection plan with the "Cloud" backup destination, even if the cloud storage quota was exceeded for a tenant. The plan will fail upon execution.
- [ABR-239197] The protection plan with the enabled Physical Data Shipping option cannot be run if the "Local backup" offering item is disabled for a tenant.
- [ABR-228827] If some backup is removed via the Data Recovery (Web Restore) console, this change is not reflected in the service console while browsing the backup location, until the service console is refreshed.
- [ABR-196710] The backup location on the network share usage is duplicated in the case when there is a different network share with the same name registered as a backup location (shares rotation scenario).
- [ABR-189620] The "Activities summary" widget shows activities out of the defined date "Range" scope (excessive activities may be shown).
- [ABR-184900] Local backup usage is not reported for backups stored on a network share with enabled deduplication.
- [ABR-183764] Local backup usage is not updated for all virtual machine backups after deleting and re-adding a network location.
- [ABR-182313] Local backup usage size is duplicated after reconnecting a locally attached storage (LAS) to a new Agent for VMware (Virtual Appliance).
- [ABR-178648] The installer does not remove/update old libraries if the previous update was interrupted.
- [ABR-154655] The protection plan may have the "Backup succeeded" status, even if this plan is completed with warnings. Alerts and activities still show the proper status of the plan.
- [ABR-133689] Acronis MMS fails to start on the latest version of CentOS 7 that uses the 3.10.0-514.21.2.el7.x86_64 kernel version, due to the specific kernel bug: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1463241.
- [ABR-113452] If a machine was re-registered under a different account without revoking the existing protection plan from it, this plan may still continue to run unexpectedly.
- [ABR-106790] The service console is not shown properly on mobile devices.
- [ABR-252829] Sorting by status is inconsistent and mixes the results in an unpredicted way.
- [ABR-134234] For a folder that is a junction of another folder, any changes made to the contents of the original data (linked to this junction folder) are not backed up. The problem is not reproduced only when using the backup format v12.
- [ABR-115270] The "[All Profiles Folder]" template in a file level backup does not support a custom profile path.
- [ABR-87244] File-level recovery from a disk/volume backup of NTFS volumes with the enabled native deduplication does not work.
- [ABR-190404] It is not possible to recover from the Large Scale Recovery backup produced by the "LSR" tool if the backup is split into multiple separate files (multi-volume).
- [ABR-183082] Recovery of a Linux machine having some volumes with the XFS file system completes with the "Failed to process the boot loader configuration." warning. The machine is bootable despite the warning.
- [ABR-158677] "Intel(R) 82574L Gigabit Network Connection" NIC is not properly recognized by Windows 10 after recovery of an image to a VMware Workstation virtual machine by using the bootable media.
- [ABR-129075] When browsing a folder in a backup during the file-level recovery via the service console, some child folders may not appear in the list after sorting by type if the folder contains many elements. To show all items of the folders, you need to scroll down in order to load the entire content of a parent folder and perform sorting only after that.
- [ABR-127666] Files/folders may still be available for a recovery from backups saved in the cloud, even if these files/folders were removed from a source device and the backups that contain these files were already cleaned up during retention.
- [ABR-221210] An application-aware agent-less VM backup fails with the "Internal error: Failed to find file 'C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\AcronisGuestService\output.xml'" error, due to a false positive detection of the Acronis "app_detect.exe" binary as "SONAR.Susplnject!gen5" malware by Norton Security Deluxe and/or Symantec Endpoint Protection antiviruses installed inside the virtual machine.
- [ABR-162925] Application items (databases and/or mailboxes) cannot be recovered from the application-aware entire machine backup if the databases are located on mount points (the database path is redirected to another location).
- [ABR-74984] The "Next backup" time is not displayed for a machine that has only application-level protection plans applied to it.
- [ABR-207057] The Bulgarian language is missing in the "Recovery HD" menu (bootable media for Mac), due to a lack of support of the Bulgarian language in macOS.
- [ABR-141823] There are incorrect backup items in a protection plan after updating Mac OS X to 10.13 High Sierra with conversion from HFS+ to APFS (some backup items are missing).
- [ABR-137886] Backing up Mac with Apple RAID configured fails with the "No volumes were found when processing the 'Fixed Volumes' template" error. Apple RAIDs are not supported.
- [ABR-242166] An application-aware backup of a Hyper-V virtual machine may fail when executing the WMI query, with the "WMI 'ExecQuery' failed executing query." or "Failed to create a new process via WMI" errors, when the backup is performed on a host under a high load, due to no response from WMI.
- [ABR-235983] A protection plan using policy rules such as "/dev/sdaX" or "/sdaX" applied to a VMware or Hyper-V virtual machine fails with the "Nothing to back up. The operation has been terminated." error, when performed by Agent for VMware/Hyper-V.
- [ABR-234935] There are duplicated activities in the Activities summary, after the backup of a virtual machine running on a Hyper-V cluster.
- [ABR-234935] An incorrect number of Total runs/Number of successful runs for a Hyper-V cluster is shown on the Operations tab.
- [ABR-234935] The number of email notifications is equal to the number of Hyper-V cluster nodes for one VM backup activity.
- [ABR-206940] Backing up a Hyper-V virtual machine located on a CSV volume may block moving this CSV volume to a different Hyper-V node, in some cases.
- [ABR-204800] Agent for VMware (Windows) installed on Windows Server 2019 cannot use the "Direct SAN Access" backup mode if it is connected to VMware vSphere version 6.7 and the datastore is connected via iSCSI.
- [ABR-192213] VMware virtual machines with an empty "vc.uuid" (InstanceUUID) vSphere property are not listed in the service console.
- [ABR-189882] Backup of a Hyper-V virtual machine fails if it contains an ampersand symbol in the names of its virtual disks.
- [ABR-173002] Run VM from a backup on a Hyper-V host fails, if the backup is located on the same volume as the path selected for the mounted VM disks.
- Solution: select a different volume for the mounted VM disks path. The space will be consumed only for changes generated inside the mounted VM and it will not occupy the entire size of the virtual disk.
- [ABR-137564] Cross-platform recoveries (when the backup was created not by Agent for Hyper-V) into a new Hyper-V virtual machine by Agent for Hyper-V always produces the Gen 1 version of virtual machine.
- [ABR-115430] A "backup is missing for X days" alert is activated even if the backup plan is not scheduled, but has this alert option enabled in its settings.
- [ABR-104081] A VM replication plan may fail due to network disconnects between source and target ESXi hosts even if the "Error handling" option is enabled.
- [ABR-100551] Backup of a Linux virtual machine running on Hyper-V 2019 always fails over to crash-consistent snapshots, due to a Microsoft limitation (inability to create production checkpoints for Linux virtual machines).
- [ABR-95961] A backup task periodically fails on snapshot creation for some Virtuozzo containers after some time on a host with a high load.
- [ABR-85645] Backup of a virtual machine with Active Directory may complete with warning "MFT bitmap is corrupted."
- The read-only role is available for selection while a customer tenant is created in the Cyber Backup - Standard and Cyber Protect - Standard editions, yet it should not be due to the licensing limitations.
- [ABR-138058] Sending backup notifications is turned off after disabling and then returning back the Cyber Protection role to a user.
- [ABR-137174] The Overview page does not support screen resolution of 1024 pixels or less in width.
- [ABR-136810] An unclear error is shown if a destination tenant was not found while moving a tenant.
- [ABR-136694] The "Bad request" message appears if a large number is specified for the Storage quota.
- [ABR-137537] Turning off the administrator role for a user does not turn off all notification settings.
- [ABR-203902] The error message "The number of registered and deleted storage registrations exceeds 50" is shown during storage re-registration.
- [ABR-203243] Logout is done correctly while a user is logged in via a branded URL; however, logout is not done for a non-branded URL.
- [ABR-173628] (Aсtive Directory Connector) Mapping is not saved when one or more Distinguished Names (DNs) are invalid.
- [ABR-159085] A broken page is shown after login to the Backup app for Android.
- [ABR-131711] Lack of salutation text in the "Quota exceeded" email notification.
- [PLTFRM-4] It is possible to create a tenant with the name having only spaces.
- [PLTFRM-2335][PLTFRM-19133] The Audit log is not loaded after drill-down to a child tenant in certain circumstances.
- [PLTFRM-20333] A Hyper-V host may consume two "Server" licenses, in cases when it is backed up as a physical machine and there are also VMs or Microsoft applications running on this host and which are backed up by other types of backup agents.
- [PLTFRM-20414] Compute points usage from the original edition is not displayed for a customer in the report after the edition switch and tenant move, for example, when the edition is switched from Standard to Disaster Recovery.
- [PLTFRM-2340] The "Tenant was moved" audit event description shows tenant IDs instead of names.
- [PLTFRM-18229] Improve the error message for the RPC GetRedirect method, in case a customer has no storage.