Acronis Snap Deploy 6 is a comprehensive deployment solution that enables IT organizations to deploy or restore laptops and desktops quickly and easily. With version 6, the product offers enhancements and addresses issues found in the previous release.
What's new in Acronis Snap Deploy 6
- Deployment over WiFi networks
It is now possible to configure automatic connection of Acronis Snap Deploy 6 bootable media to WiFi networks and perform multicast and unicast deployments. The WiFi configuration is defined when creating the bootable media via Media Builder or right in the bootable media UI.
The product can be installed as native 64-bit application, thus ensuring compatibility with Acronis Cyber Protect 15 and Acronis Cyber Backup 12.5: you can install components altogether on the same machine, including PXE server compatibility.
Windows activation after deployment
You can specify a unique Windows activation key to be used per each target machine for Windows activation after deployment. This key is defined as "individual machine" setting.
- Preserve original machine name after deployment
When performing Online Deployment, the guest OS machine name can now be optionally inherited from the OS rather than taken from the master image
Correct licenses assignment when deploying to machines connected via docking station
The machines connected to a docking station share the same MAC address which caused licensing issues when tracking deployment usage, for example for tablets. Now this problem is gone with the new licensing algorithm which tracks machine BIOS ID in addition to MAC address for truly unique identification.
VLAN tags support in bootable media
The bootable media now inherits the VLAN settings from Windows where Media Builder was run to create this media. In addition, you can connect the bootable media manually to required VLAN via its native UI. Deployment from VHDX It is now possible to deploy from Microsoft latest virtual disks format VHDX in addition to previously supported VHD.
Several UX enhancements including ability to sort machines by IP/name in the management console.
Issues fixed in Acronis Snap Deploy 6
This section describes issues that have been fixed in comparison with Acronis Snap Deploy 5 Update 5.4.
- [ASD-4468] WinPE media does not allow to save master image to a DVD drive connected via USB.
- [ASD-4324] Duplicate Windows Boot Manager EFI entries appear with using WinPE bootable media for deployment in some cases.
- [ASD-4320] Some deployment settings do not appear available when choosing specific master image for deployment, even though OS is detected properly in this image.
- [ASD-4271] SUSE 42.2 deployed via WinPE bootable media may not boot correctly after deployment.
- [ASD-4257] Windows 10 recovery partition becomes hidden after deployment when master image is captured from systems with specific partitions layout (typically OEM systems from HP).
- [ASD-2898] Option to perform "Shut down" after deployment via Standalone Media does not work on some systems.
This section describes issues that are currently known and provides solutions to avoid the issues where possible.
- [Windows 10 specific] Acronis Snap Deploy 6 Management Agent can be remotely installed on a target machine running Windows 10 only when the built-in administrator credentials are specified or UAC is disabled on the machine.
- The Acronis bootable media may incorrectly detect a machine’s hardware.
Solution: Use the WinPE-based bootable media instead.
The "Access is denied" message appears when trying to remotely install Acronis Snap Deploy 6 components if UAC on a target machine is enabled and the machine is not a member of Active Directory.
Solution: Disable UAC on the remote machine to be able to use remote installation or use a domain administrator account if the remote machine is in a domain.
- A machine’s security identifier (SID) does not change after deployment of Windows Small Business Server 2011.
If you start the Master Image Creator wizard and then connect or disconnect one of the USB drives, there will be multiple errors related to all drives, such as "Failed to read from the sector 0 of the hard disk 1. Sector was skipped."
Solution: Do not plug or unplug any USB drives while a master image is being created.
The Applications to run setting does not work after deployment of Windows 7 or Windows 2008.
Solution: To run an application or a script automatically under the operating system, use the Files to transfer setting to copy the file, the script, or the link to the script to the Startup folder of the target machine, such as the folder C:\Users\USER1\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.
- Deployment fails and the "Host 'X.X.X.X' has failed the deployment" error appears if the Jumbo Packet property of the network adapter is enabled on OS Deploy Server.
- Booting Hyper-V 3.0 virtual machines from Acronis PXE Server is very slow.
- The "Deployment has failed" error appears after successful deployment from an external network via a VPN connection.
- It is impossible to update or reinstall Windows Store applications after deployment if the "Generate a unique SID for each deployed machine" check box was selected in the deployment template.
- The "Use PXE server for booting into agent" check box does not work if the "Start operating system" option was selected under "When booting from the media, automatically start" when uploading Acronis Snap Deploy 6 Agent to Acronis PXE Server.